Growing Equitable Organizations by Design (GEODe)
A Course of Action to nurture organizations with diversity, access, and inclusion by personalizing equitable culture and business practices.
Get ready to take five tangible ACTION steps :
- Clarify Culture that embodies your dream for social change. Envision an equitable (work) environment for yourself, your clients, & community collaborators to practice living in the world we want now.
- Grow Diversity by partnering with community organizations to curate a mixed-income, multicultural space.
- Expand Access to your services. Begin by creating a sustainable grassroots fundraising plan that will annually refresh your financial aid fund to cover costs for 10-20% of your clients.
- Elevate Inclusion by working interdependently with your current clients and local collaborators. Draw inspiration from the social justice organizing principles of Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds by adrienne maree brown.
- Employ Equity Ethos that intentionally nurtures your clients’ essential skills for changemaking such as resilience, innovation, collaboration, & higher order thinking.
- for non-music teachers wanting to make their services (lessons, healing arts sessions, etc.) accessible to a more socioeconomically diverse clientele by expanding access, elevating inclusion, and centering equity.
- specific support with one or more of the five GEMS tangible action steps above, tailored to you or your organization!
- training that fits your schedule and capacity.
Please set up a short chat to talk more about how your GEODe work with Clara might look!
Participants will engage with their Course of Action in two ways:
- During 6-weeks of online coaching sessions Monday and Friday afternoons 1:30-3:30p EST, except holidays.
- Outside of virtual class & following course completion as our studios continuously evolve. For example, we aspire to collectively expand access to private lessons for 100 youth by the end of 2021.
Each lesson will be driven by a CAR: Concept, Action, and Results. On Mondays, GEMS participants will be presented with an overarching concept and be invited to take specific actions. Case studies and templates from Detroit Youth Volume will be provided as inspirational tools. Friday classes will consist of individual check ins, personalized coaching and peer mentorship around each studio’s plans and progress.
During the last Friday of the course, GEODe participants will take turns presenting their work to each other and our broader community using the virtual platform of the Youth Volume Think Tank, designed to recenter social justice from the margins to the heart of economy and to generate practical solutions for individuals to nurture their organizations with diversity, equity and inclusion ASAP.